BIRDS AND BLOOMS !!
Welcome to BIRDS AND BLOOMS Paper Paintings Collage Workshops.
Taking a workshop with me means you get all the benefits of my years of experience so you can dive in and start having fun! In person workshops offer lots of one-on-one instruction and detailed demonstrations. I strive to create an environment where everyone can learn, create, laugh, and play!
Students will learn the unique figurative collage technique. Emphasis will be on hand-painting your own papers for collage with a variety of techniques, then using them to develop form through light and shadow, just as with traditional painting techniques. No prior collage experience is necessary. Some painting would be helpful, but not imperative.
- RICE PAPER, Hosho or Shuji Gami Kozo Paper Roll or sketch pad. Washi or Unyuri white papers with and without fibers/texture purchase at your local art supply or craft store in the Chinese brush painting section.
- VARIETY OF FOUND PAPERS, sheet music, maps, hand written notes, old book pages, dry waxed deli paper, old maps – variety of thickness and textures. You can do this totally with found papers.
- DECORATIVE PAPERS, papers you purchase at your local art supply store (not scrapbook paper) with fiber, embossing, metallic patterning, iridescent patterning. Please purchase in white or natural if possible, this allows for the most color options when painting.
- NO MAGAZINES or shiny coated printed papers
- GEL PRESS MONPRINTING PRINTING PLATE 8×10 size with HARD RUBBER BRAYER
- GOLDEN FLUID ACRYLIC PAINTS & WHITE GESSO for under-painting on panel AND hand-painting papers — colors of your choice, keeping in mind the subject matter and your ability to mix color. Small container of white gesso for making some colors lighter and opaque.
- CANVAS PANEL economy surface for support. This is mat board covered with pre-primed canvas, NOT stretched canvas, one medium format such as 12×12 or 11×14
- PAINT BRUSHES (variety of sizes)for under-painting and applying glue. OR use what you have on hand. I prefer #8 Princeton Catalyst filbert shaped short handle brush for the glue application.
- LIQUITEX GLOSS GEL MEDIUM, this is the collage glue. Please purchase GLOSS not matte.
- WATER CONTAINER & DOLLAR STORE VINYL TABLE CLOTH OR SHOWER CURTAIN for table cover and/or to dry papers on.
- PAPER TOWELS for cleanup and brushes, COATED PAPER PLATES OR PALETTE PAPER for paint mixing palette.
- PENCIL AND ERASER, for sketching plus ballpoint pen
- GRAPHITE TRANSFER PAPER, for transferring your…
- REFERENCE PHOTO, the same size as your canvas panel or board. If your printer does not go this large, please either tile your image and tape it together or have it output at your local FedEx / Kinkos on NON GLOSSY paper.
- WOOD PANELS I work on cradled wood painting panels. This would be a more expensive option than canvas panel and does require a coat of gesso primer/sealer, but cradled panels do not require framing!
- GALLON PLASTIC ZIP BAGS For organizing papers by color to take home
- MIXED MEDIA TOOLS Stencils, string, yarn, scraping tools, Q-tips, makeup sponges, etc. For use on the Gel Plate. Anything fun that you may have in your studio that you’d like to experiment with.
CLASSROOM shared supplies:
- FOR THE DURATION OF CLASS Elizabeth will bring a variety of shared stencils, string, masking tools, stamping material, texture plates, crayons, wax candles, etc.
- AT THE WORKSHOP Elizabeth will have a variety of 1oz. Golden Fluid Acrylic Paints, Stencil Girl Stencils, Rubber Moon art stamps, books, aprons, note cards, small originals, etc. Cash, credit, check accepted.
Back to Elizabeth St Hilaire